Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Thursday, October 02, 2003

Settle down Beavis!

You remember Beavis and Butthead? If you're too young to remember them, don't tell me. Just smile and nod while your elders babble.

At work, we have an outside contractor who has been working on this one project for us for far too long. He's clearly dying to be done with it. I'm dying for him to be done with it. We talk to each other almost every day on the phone, and interact like long-divorced people. We notice when each other is sick, wish each other well when we go off on vacations, and seriously get on each others' nerves.

I think we're both dreaming of the glorious day when we no longer have to talk to each other.

Remember how Butthead was the comparatively calm member of the pair, and Beavis used to freak out? I encountered a new issue today. We're not supposed to encounter any new issues at this point. In talking to him over the phone, I could tell it was all too much. I could hear his voice flutter and gasp, and then I could hear throaty proto-shrieky spazzy Beavis noises.

Tech people must want to do this an awful lot.