Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Thursday, September 04, 2003

Thank the Gods...

For over the counter generic Claritin. Aka Loratadine.

I'm allergic to a lot of different things, up to and including pollen. It's getting worse as I get older, so I find myself turning into Paranoid Allergy Girl, wondering what the next item I can't eat or makes me sneeze is going to be, and obsessing over air filters and a Miehl vacuum cleaner.

Untreated, I sneeze a lot and drip a disgusting amount of mucus. My father's the same way, and I remember him walking around the house with tissues jammed up his nose in an effort to stem the flow. Not even absorb it, just cork it up. Disgusting, but you do what you gotta do. Not very pretty, and not something you can do at work.

Most over the counter antihistimines leave me almost useless. About all I'm up for is an exciting day of watching TV with my slack jaw resting on my collarbone. Or napping.

But I love Loratadine. I can't express how much I love it. It really works, and doesn't leave me in a fog.