Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Friday, September 19, 2003

Oh give me a globe...

I've always loved snow globes. My paternal grandparents had a glorious knick-knack shelf in their house, set high so that children couldn't casually touch it and it was a treat for them to take an item down and allow me to handle it.

The best one of all was the snow globe. I think it was a plastic novelty one (probably from Portugual) and I loved it. I would shake until the snow whirled and when it started to slow I would shake it some more.

It might have even beat out china chicken for the pleasure it gave me, and the china chicken held candies.

I always associated snow globes with relatives, and special visits, and it wasn't until my tween years that it occurred to me to ask for a snow globe of my very own. It was from my Mom as a birthday present. It was one of my first adult gifts (wipe that smirk off your face, you know what I mean) and because it had been a special request, I've always treasured it.

Over time my globe showed signs of wear. The water had started to slowly leak so that there was an ugly air bubble at the top, and the globe (still sealed) had come loose from the base, and would fall out if you weren't careful. It had become a half-broken thing, not worth displaying in the living room but too pretty and full of memories to be discarded.

Then I heard of this guy. He repairs snow globes, refilling with water, replacing glass, repainting interiors, even customizing at request. He's very professional to work with, and my newly refurbished globe (new glass, fresh water) sits proudly by my computer.

It just came today, and every half hour or so I pick it up and give it a shake. I shake until the snow whirls and it starts to slow and then I shake it again. And then I smile.