Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Friday, September 12, 2003

Friday Five

1. Is the name you have now the same name that's on your birth certificate? If not, what's changed?

It's the same name.

2. If you could change your name (first, middle and/or last), what would it be?

I like all of my name, and wouldn't change it. Even as a small child, I had no intention of ever taking a man's name at marriage.

3. Why were you named what you were? (Is there a story behind it? Who specifically was responsible for naming you?)

First name: My Mom, and it came to her in a dream. Haven't I mentioned my parents were hippies?

I got off easy. As a little hippy child, I played with a little girl named America. This was back when wearing the flag was an earthy, counterculture expression of patriotism, not something only Neo-Cons do.

I wonder if she still goes by that name? Or does she say to people, "call me Amy"?

Middle name: A family name that is associated with a historical figure to whom I'm distantly related. I don't want to go into too much detail, because that would be telling, but it's a historical figure I'm pleased to have a link to.

Last name: My last name is one of the names that was taken by Sephardic Jews when they converted to Christianity. Any sense of Judaism has long since departed my family, but the name none the less serves as a marker of distant Jewish ancestors being forced to abandon their faith.

4. Are there any names you really hate or love? What are they and why?

I get crushes on names. I'm currently fascinated by Neve, pronounced "neeve". That one started when I was watching Red Cap.

I also develop aversions to names, usually based on dealing with unpleasant people.

5. Is the analysis of your name at kabalarians.com / triggur.org / astroexpert accurate? How or how isn't it?

This part at kabalarians.com is fair enough,

The name of Marina has created a congenial nature with the desire to associate in friendship and understanding both socially and in the business world. Peaceful and settled conditions appeal to you and you are naturally desirous of having the security of a home, where your life could follow a definite pattern, and where you would not have to make major decisions. You find it difficult to take a definite stand, partly because you lack confidence, and also because you dislike any issues which create dissension between people. Procrastination is a weakness of your nature, causing an inability always to complete your plans or to concentrate for long....You desire refinement, understanding, and appreciation, yet sometimes your outward attitude does not reveal your innermost feelings, and thus you have never felt truly understood.

This part is dead wrong,

You need to see a concept presented completely in detail before you can understand it, and if you cannot understand it, you come to your own conclusion and often fail to listen to and reason out another's point of view. You resist being forced into change and could become almost impervious to new ideas.