Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Nice weekend

Lovely weekend. I was feeling under the weather so I spent most of it puttering and watching TV and doing beadwork. I'm almost finished with a necklace I've been working on for a ridiculously long amount of time, I should take a picture of it when I'm done.

Since I like nothing better than a good forensic or true crime show, I watched at least eight hours of Cold Case Files and American Justice combined, mostly Cold Case Files. Dorothy L. Sayers had a theory that detective mysteries are modern morality plays. A crime occurs and the world is out of balance, and unfolding of the plot (detective work, perp caught, justice done) sets everything right again.

I certainly get that out of Cold Case Files, and I like the way the show is (don't laugh) very woman-centered. They seem to have a large number of female pathologists profiled on their show, usually smiling as they explain how the DNA test they conducted pinned the serial rapist-murderer. Also, a good number of female friends/relatives who "knew something was wrong" and pestered police to look into the victim's death more closely or did PI work on their own.

A lot of true crime shows focus on woman as victim, while Cold Case Files really focuses on the ability of even ordinary women to make justice happen. If I had a daughter I'd want her watching this show. Providing she was old enough to handle grisly crime scene photos and discussions about serial rapist-murders of course.

The other fun thing I did was go to Hart Farms in Harwich and buy hardy mums. I love mums, they're so gorgeous at this time of year. Hart Farms is also such a nice place, they have local produce and resident cats that stop by when you look at plants and everyone working there is so nice.

It's a perfect early fall rainy day. I love days like this, cool and cosy and the rain coming down makes me want to sit inside and drink coffee and wear a sweater and make cookies. Summer just seems so tired and old right now, I'm loving the new season and looking forward to the start of school.

Of course my co-worker is whining about how, "It's WINTER already."

Twit. That's called "fall in New England. It's good stuff.

I only wish we had a fireplace...I'd love to curl up in front of a little fire...