Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Monday, August 18, 2003

It's not the heat...

The weather has cooled and become less humid for the first time in weeks. I can't even describe how moist and nasty everything has been and still is.

We have at least five different types of mushrooms growing in our yard. So far, I've seen:

Indian pipes.

Big white mushrooms

Smaller big white mushrooms with nodules.

Small orangish-brown mushrooms.

Biggish brownish-orange mushrooms.

I'm sure there's some I've missed.

Also, my China flats had MOLD growing on them. In the LIVING ROOM. I washed them and they seem okay now, but ew.

Oh, it just occurred to me that last sentence will confuse some people in other parts of the country. Central air conditioning still isn't very common around here. We have a window air conditioner stuck in the office and a de-humidifier in the basement, and the rest of the house fends for itself. The spousal unit fiddles with window fans and strategically closed doors in order to maximize airflow through the house. It does make a difference, believe me.

But no matter how much the air is moving, it doesn't change the fact that it's been so humid that everything is perpetually damp. Books curl, papers stick, towels don't dry and floors feel sweaty. No wonder I have mold on my shoes.