Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

My Mom just called...

My great-aunt died.

She was generous and smart and funny and compassionate.

Relationships within my family are tainted with arguments and interpersonal difficulty and alcoholism. She rose above all that with a sweetness and generosity of spirit.

It caused her pain that her older brother (my grandfather) was "never the same" after serving in World War II.

She loved to travel and meet people all over the world. I remember when I was a kid she sent us presents from Singapore.

She was an old time "limosine liberal", in the very best sense of that term.

She had ideals and put her money (and time) where her mouth was.

I will always associate her death with George W. Bush's inauguration. It seems sad and appropriate that her good spirit leaves us at this time.