Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Spiral Shawl Closeup

This is the very center of the spiral shawl I'm working on, draped over a lamp so you can see the design.

When it's done, it will look something like this.

Yes, it's a circular shawl. I hadn't heard of such of thing before reading about lace knitting, but a shawl in the shape of a giant circle is actually a comfy and flexible design.

The only daunting thing. I wasn't given any instructions other than to increase until it's "done". In other words, when it's big enough to work as a shawl. It's all scrunched up on circular needles, how do I figure out when it's big enough?

Did I mention that I've never really internalized the whole "gauge" concept in knitting? I just follow directions exactly (socks) or I knit until it looks right (scarves).

Guess I've got to start figuring it out.