Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Saturday, February 21, 2004

Nobody Ever Thinks About Nuts

I really want to visit the Nut Lady's Exhibition.

In the interest of fair disclosure, I need to mention that this is something my Mom would do. She was bit hard by the "let's make art out of tin cans and pine cones" bug in the seventies and never quite recovered.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. Being raised by her is why I'm all about crafty things and plants. I always feel a bit sad for people who long to keep plants alive or are intimidated by making things, both these pursuits add a great deal of pleasure to my life.

Of course, there is a tiny bit of mental illness about it as well. People like me will pursue creative projects beyond all reason. Someone else looks at a piece of cardboard and sensibly discards it. I always have the sense that I'm wasting good material. Common sense prevails and I'm MUCH better about throwing things away than I was in the past, but still, I always feel a little pang about throwing something away that "might" be useful.

Do you remember those industrial spools that people used to make furniture out of? I remember a friend of my parents had one of those as their coffee table. I still have to restrain myself from nabbing those when I see them discarded at the town dump or by the side of the road.

Same goes for wooden pallets.

I terrified the Spousal Unit the other night by announcing as we were going to sleep that I wanted to decoupage my computer desk.

I'm sure the Spousal Unit is secretly hoping I forget about it.

Fat chance. Bwa ha ha.