Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Friday, June 13, 2003

Friday Five

1. What's one thing you've always wanted to do, but never have?

I realize just how pathetic this sounds, but the answer is pierce my ears.I've wanted pierced ears since I was a little kid, but I'm deeply phobic about being pierced or stuck in any way. I haven't had my blood sampled for approximately twelve years.

Do you think a doctor would give me a couple of Valiums to go to a piercing booth?

2. When someone asks your opinion about a new haircut/outfit/etc, are you always honest?

Depends both on how bad/good it is and what the person's state of mind is. If something is mediocre and the person in question needs a lift, I might white lie a bit.

On the other hand, if it's just awful, to the point where I think they're going to look back someday and be mortified, I try to say so tactfully.

3. Have you ever found out something about a friend and then wished you hadn't? What happened?

I don't think I'm easily shocked, or perhaps I have a good intuition about people. I've learned a lot of lurid or disquieting stuff about people, but I've never been wind-knocked-out-of-me shocked about it.

When I've found out something that really disappointed me or caused me to unfavorably re-evaluate the person, I've always preferred knowledge to ignorance no matter how much it hurt at the time.

4. If you could live in any fictional world (from a book/movie/game/etc.) which would it be and why?

Hmmm...interesting question. Most fantastic worlds are much more fun to read about then they are to live in.

But, leading contenders are probably the world of Babylon 5 or Andre Norton's Witch World. I always get the sense with those worlds that there is danger and menace and corruption, but also beauty and goodness shining in unexpected places. The world in Gene Wolfe's Torturer series is interesting, but lacks a certain something that actually makes me want to live there. (I want to say moral sense, but I'm not sure that's the right way of putting it.) Tolkien's Lord of the Rings has danger and beauty, but few opportunities for women.

5. What's one talent/skill you don't have but always wanted?

Being able to sing!