Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Not content with a simple rant, I'm going to go for a full-fledged rant about Lee Greenwood's God Bless the U.S.A. Let's look at this glurge masquerading as music,

Lee Greenwood
God Bless the U.S.A.

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again
with just my children and my wife,
I'd thank my lucky stars
to be living here today,

(Well then Lee, you’re a moron. If everything I’d worked for all my life was mysteriously taken away, it’s because I’m very stupid, or have had a run of serious bad luck. Either way, I wouldn't be thanking my lucky stars. Oh, and I’d prefer to deal with it living in a country with more liberal social programs than the United States.)

'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
and they can't take that away.

(What is he babbling about? Who’s this “they”? I think the last time someone chuckled gleefully over taking the flag away was in “Red Dawn”.)

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,

(That’s right, only men who died gave that right to you. No one else in the entire history of the nation counts.)

And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,

(Don’t people always glamorize fighting when they’ve never done any themselves? You'd never see a Veteran singing pap like this.)

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

(This is like listening to a middle school boy go on about a crush. No one cares, including the crush object. )

From the lakes of Minnesota
to the hills of Tennessee,
Across the plains of Texas
from sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston
and New York to L.A.,

(Guess a major portion of the eastern United States is just screwed. He does realize that “New England” is part of the States and the South was re-absorbed after the Civil War?)

There's pride in every American heart
and it's time we stand and say:

(You do what you want. Keep your nose out of my business and don’t tell me what to say Lee.)

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,

(That’s right. You’re very very speshul because you’re an American. No one else can know what it means to be your precious self. Everyone else in an democracy who thinks they understand freedom is deluded.)

And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

Eeesh. Good thing I skipped lunch today.