Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Thar's Ticks in Them Thar Hills

We had an afternoon of hiking and seeing if we'd gotten our money's worth for a donation to some newly acquired Audobon land. As it turns out, it's an absolutely lovely spot, worth every penny and home to some unfortunate wildlife.

I'm driving home and I notice there's a black speck on my right hand. A moving black speck.

"Hon? I think I have a tick on my hand. Can you check and if it is, do something with it?"

The Spousal Unit is holds my hand up to the dimming light of the windshield and yanks the tick off. Then she starts scrabbling at her lap. Did she drop the tick? I don't want to know. But I've got to ask.

"What are you doing?"

"(mumble)...There's a bunch."

"A what?" I feel a tickling sensation on my hand. "Oh gross, here's another one...can you get this one off too?" Holy crap, this is an infestation.

"I had two on my jeans. They're real deer ticks too, not that big ones."

"Never mind that, get it off my hand!"

We did the strip down when we got home. Hear that Google? WE TOOK ALL OUR CLOTHES OFF. Hot looking for ticks and avoiding Lyme disease action. You should try it some time, dancing around in front of each other and full length mirrors, all our clothes stuffed in the washing machine. A good time was had by all.

Next time we go hiking it's going to be the beach. NO WOODS.