Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The only bad part is going to work

Today is gloriously damp and foggy. We have a "dense fog advisory", ...motorists are urged to slow down and use low beams when driving in areas of dense fog through mid morning...

This is the sort of day that separates the real Cape Codders from the tourists. "Real" in this case having nothing to do with how long you've been here, but whether you appreciate the Cape for what it is.

The Cape is not a sunny tropical paradise. The Cape is a vulnerable strip of land sticking out in the north Atlantic ocean.

I love listening to the wind and rain shake the house and knowing that I'm snug inside. I love the sunshine on the water and everything looking newly created. I love the roused angry crash of the ocean right after a storm. I love the faint smell of roses that permeates some back roads on still days in early summer or the piney, earthy smell of wooded trails.

If you can't appreciate this, I feel for you. I really do.