Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Sunday, January 11, 2004

I Love Windows

Heh, never thought you'd see me say that!

I did something to my work computer this week that turned out to be *mistake*. A BIG mistake. It took less than a minute for me to realize I was in deep and sinking fast.

We don't have a regular IT person at work which is why I had done the something in the first place. I called the spousal unit in a panic. After running me through some tests, we establish that my machine can no longer pull an IP address off the DHCP server.

Spousal Unit: "I don't know what you did, but it's fucked."

Cue me getting ready to hide under my desk and weep. Because we don't have a regular IT person, getting even the most basic support is a major pain in the ass.

Spousal Unit: "Wait. It was working fine this morning? And the problem started when you did thus-and-so? Go to Help and Support on your Start Menu. Click on "Undo changes with System Restore". "

Praise be all that is holy that the bloated, clunky brainchild of Bill Gates is equipped with System Restore. System Restore! Oh how I love System Restore!

If you don't know where it is or what it is on your machine? *Find it now, while your head is clear. You may need to know some day.

This PSA brought to you courtesy of One Who's Been There.

*Yes, yes, I know you Mac people don't have it. Stop snickering at me and my operating system, it's not nice.