Dolphin With Rabies

Life on beautiful Cape Cod.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

More Japanese Horror

We watched Shikoku the other night. I got completely sucked in as the female lead returns to the small island community where her family lived before they moved to Tokyo. Everything is still the same or at least it looks that way at first, but she's changed and no longer belongs. It hit a lot of my moving back to Cape Cod buttons. I generally hate remakes, but I'd love to see an American version of this movie set on Cape Cod.

Judging by some of the online reviews I pulled up, most people were disappointed in the movie. I can see why. In many ways, it's more of a psych piece with some horror added for flavoring and it lacks the "tightness" of a really good horror piece. But I still want to see that remake.